Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Veggie or Kosher variants of last night's dinner

I have a lot of vegetarian and kosher friends, so I was thinking about how to do the recipe differently to accommodate them.

My first idea was to make a cannellini bean purée. And use that instead of the meat and yogurt. I would food process cooked or canned cannellini beans, drain them of any water so it has similar consistency as hummus. I would add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Then I would layer that first on the toasted bread, followed by cilantro, the eggplant, then tomato and I would finish it with nice cheese crumble like feta, or grated pecorino Romano.

For any kosher keepers, I would not make the recipe with meat and leave out the yogurt. The yogurt is really what cinches the whole thing together. I would also not substitute soy yogurt. One could try making a thin hummus and top it with paprika instead of cayenne. But don't just do the meat, it will be way to boring! And don't even think about substituting with mayo!
Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment