Sunday, June 5, 2011

My First Post

So this is the meal that inspired this blog!  So it is appropriate that it be the first image that you all see.

My husband and I sat down to this meal and he told me that he thinks I have a special talent for making delicious meals out of leftovers and voila this blog was born.
This meal is actually mostly not leftovers, but it is the meal that inspired the blog so that's what we are starting with!
The pictured meal is a Thai cilantro hamburger, with a tarragon French potato salad, salad greens, and grilled vidalia onions and sliced tomatoes.
The leftovers part is the tarragon French potato salad.  It in fact is not a French salad at all, but I like to call it that because it makes it sound fancy, and as my friends might tell you, I like things that sound fancy!!  It is completely a made up entity by me!  My parents, my cousin and my husband all went to a steak house together while I was working 2 nights ago.  They had plenty of leftovers, which they planned to give away to a homeless person, but they didn't run into any on the way home, so they stayed in the fridge, thanks to my good fortune.
I found two baked potatoes with a little sour cream on them!  So I cut off the bit with the sour cream, cut the potatoes into cubes (leaving the skin on), and cut up a little tarragon that I had in the fridge, added some salt, lemon juice, French mustard whipped into olive oil, and voila tarragon French potato salad!
(I should note that so far the leftovers from the steak place have fed us two meals, and I am making steak Nicoise salad to take to work tomorrow!)


As for the rest of the meal. I bought the hamburger buns special for today, and I bought cilantro and tomatoes as part of my weekly grocery store trip.  At this point I am going to put in a plug for fresh herbs! I live in in Brooklyn and literally have no room for an herb garden, but I think if you want to make all your food better buy fresh herbs once a week! Cilantro and basil are kinda the worst choice, cause they go bad so fast, but tarragon (I had it from last weeks fresh herb buy) and rosemary last much longer!  I also already had Vidalia onions, ground beef, and Thai rub (the thai rub was a random thing I bought at Fairway because I have a rule that I can buy one new spice whenever I go to Fairway, I had never used it until today).  So I put some cilantro and some red onions in a food processor, drained the water, mixed it with ground beef and the Thai rub, and used my panini pan to grill the patties and the Vidalia onions, and then served the whole dish as pictured!

My husband loved it, and it was definitely cheaper than going out to eat in park slope!  We have 3 hamburger patties left... which I plan to use with an eggplant that I have left over from 2 weeks ago, which probably thanks to GMOs has not gone bad, and make up a fake Turkish dish.... more later on that!
Toodles
- Lady Leftovers



2 comments:

  1. Ever so talented, Shideh-jan! Do you happen to offer distance-learning courses or consultancy services?

    I have a feeling your brother-in-law and sister-in-law would benefit from your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative and delicious!! Is the cookbook coming next?!!?

    ReplyDelete