Monday, June 6, 2011

Turkish Crostini

So this weekend we had this fantastic Crostini at Franny's in Brooklyn, which was part of the inspiration of this meal, the other inspiration was a Turkish dish made with eggplant stuffed with meat, and of course the main inspiration was the fact that I have had 1 baby eggplant in my fridge for the last two weeks, and I had three leftover hamburger patties from last night's dinner.



So I browned some onions in a skillet, broke apart the hamburger patties with my hands, added that in and then added some tomato paste, salt and pepper.
I thinly sliced some eggplant, salted it and let it sit, to let is sweat a little. (this was actually my first step, so I could let it sit for a while). After the ground meat was cooked in a different sauté pan I fried the thin slices of eggplant. While they were frying, I minced 2 garlic cloves and mixed them into 1/2 a cup of full fat yogurt, and just lightly salted the yogurt. At this point my husband called and said he was on his way home (about 15 minutes into my cooking time). I was planning to roast my tomatoes but given the new time crunch, I just seared them in the same pan as the eggplants, once the eggplants were done and I had removed them from the pan. I literally left them in there for under a minute.
Here is an action shot!


Then I heated about 1 tablespoon of butter in a small pan added in a bunch of cayenne pepper. And just let it mix together to make a pepper roux for about 30 seconds.
To put it all together, I had a nice loaf of oat honey bread from pigs don't fly, which I grilled in my panini pan. I then put down a layer of cut fresh cilantro, then a layer of eggplant, then a tomato layer, then the ground beef, then I drizzles the yogurt garlic sauce on top, followed by a little pepper roux! Beware cayenne pepper is really spicy! You only need a little.
The hubby loved it, had seconds, and there is just 1 serving left, which is going to a ccu nurse tomorrow (though I don't think it will travel well and it loses the hot and cold elements mixing together thing, but oh well!)
Toodles!



No comments:

Post a Comment