Monday, June 13, 2011

Amazing pasta and roast chicken!

Sorry for the long time no writing! But I was super sick, and I have to put a shout out to MK medicine resident superstar who covered my friday CCU call, because I was so sick! I owe him a dinner!

So now that I am back on track, I have to share an amazing pasta recipe I just made. The recipe is originally from "on top of spaghetti" which is the 2nd cookbook put out by the owners of Al Forno, and amazing restaurant in Rhode Island. According to the NY Times, the owners of Al Forno are credited with popularizing pasta as it is eaten in Italy with Americans! This is a must have book! Excellent easy recipes, and literally you can't make anything bad with this book around!

So the recipe is for spaghettini al chiattara. I made this when I was getting better, but still not up for shopping for groceries.

The recipe calls for:
4 bliss potatoes
Fresh sage 2 tablespoons
6 tablespoons butter
1 pound spaghettini
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese

So of course I had to make substitutions cause I didn't have all that stuff. I used the following:

1 big yam
Fresh sage 2 teaspoons minced
5 tablespoons butter
2.5 oz of gorgonzola
1 oz of goat cheese
1 lb of linguine

*of note if you don't have fresh sage the cookbook says don't substitute with dry sage, use dried oregano instead.

So cube your potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. In a large serving bowl cut up your cheese an butter, and add your minced sage, mash it all together with a fork to make a paste.

Then in a nice large pasta pot, place your cubes potato, with lots of salt. Bring it to a boil, and after it has boiled for 5 minutes, add the pasta, cook until pasta is al dente! Then drain the pasta, but keep some of the cooking water. Add the pasta and potatoes to the gorgonzola sage butter and toss it. You can add a bit of fresh ground peppercorn. A little of the potato may smush and coat the pasta, that's fine and delicious. If the pasta seems too dry, you can add in the reserved cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time.

Here is a pic, doesn't look glorious, but it is absolutely delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment