Wednesday, June 8, 2011

So sick today!!!!

So today, I was super sick, like thank god my albuterol inhaler still works sick. I was home all day and could not leave.  Yesterday afternoon, I was ambitious and had made a grocery list of some ingredients so that I can make a festive dinner for one of my couple friends this evening. Needless to say, I was too sick to buy groceries, and dinner was canceled.  However, I did wake up in need of some soup, and I already had thawed a bunch of chicken so that is how my morning started.

I used the following ingredients to make soup
- Thyme
- 1 onion
- Garlic
- Ginger (I only used it because I had a thumb sized piece that I was afraid would go bad)
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Frozen peas
- Some weird worm shaped pasta called Medi


I  first sauteed the onion, garlic, ginger with olive oil, salt, pepper and few sprigs of cut up fresh thyme, in the base of my soup pot.  I then added the drumsticks, so I could brown them a little, once I was done with that I added a bunch of water, 3/4 a way up the pot, and a bunch of salt and pepper.  I let the chicken cook for a good 30 minutes.  I then pulled out the 4 drumsticks, put them in the freezer for about 1 minute to cool them, while the water in the pot kept boiling.  I cut up the chicken into little pieces, and threw the chicken and the bones back into the soup water.  I let it cook for about 10 more minutes, then I added the frozen peas and a cup of pasta.  I waited about 12 minutes, and voila the soup was ready.
I ate about 3 bowls of it with lemon juice added to each individual bowl, and I do think there is some curative properties in chicken soup.

My regrets with this recipe are the following: I wish I had had other vegetables to put in the soup. I used the peas because that was the only vegetable I had besides tomatoes and sweet potatoes.  I did consider the use of sweet potato, but decided on using the peas instead.   I don't really even know why I had frozen peas in my freezer, because it is not something I usually by, so that went into the decision too, so that I could get rid of them. 
Also I wish I added the pasta first and then waited to the very last minute to add the peas.  I think they would have tasted more fresh, hard to tell as they were frozen in the first place.

I don't have any pictures to add, because I was really not up to taking pictures earlier today. I can't even believe I am up blogging now.  I do have left overs, so maybe I will take a picture, but to be honest it is not so glorious to look at, but the taste is good!








1 comment:

  1. You are some kind of amazing to whip up chicken soup for yourself while you are sick, Mrs. Leftovers...
    I hope you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete