Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Coq au Vin

In the interest of being completely forthright, this is not actually a recipe for Coq au Vin, but more of a fake coq au vin created by me!
So I had a half stalk of leftover celery, and some mushrooms in the fridge, and a 2 month old (since opening) bottle of red wine sitting in my fridge... that's the beginning of this recipe.
I began by sauteeing the celery and mushrooms for a minute in a big pan, I then lay the chicken pieces on top, added the wine and some more olive oil and baked it for about 45 minutes.
This is what the finished product looked like
I use drum sticks because I like them best, but you could just as well use chicken breast.  I first baked for about 40 minutes and the last 5-10 minutes I put the settings on high broil.
This recipe turned out excellent, we could not get enough of it. 
I think it is more of a winter recipe though we ate it in the summer... I think you can make it with butternut squash, or parsnips.
The celery and the mushrooms cooked in the wine broth became so creamy and delicious.  Don't be stingy on the salt in this recipe because you need it to balance the acidity of the old wine.  I am sure it might be even more delicious if you use wine that is not so old.
Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment